The History of Gordon Fox: from Camp St. to Speaker to…
Sunday, March 23, 2014
The son of a Cape Verdean mother and an Irish Dad, Fox was a minority in a minority neighborhood.
After law school, Fox ran for the then 5th District Seat in the House of Representatives (now the 4th District) and was elected in 1994. He immediately became a key vote in deciding whether Warwick Rep. Russ Bramley would be the next Speaker or Pawtucket Representative John Harwood.
Fox switched his vote back and forth and ultimately supported Harwood -- and Fox was the deciding vote.
Take a look at the career of Gordon Fox - from growing on Camp Street to the most powerful politician in RI to...
Related Slideshow: The History of Gordon Fox: From Camp St. to Speaker to…
In 1992, Gordon Fox ran for (then) House District 5 seat replacing Dr. Nick Tsiongas.
Fox, an ally of then-Councilman Josh Fenton and former College Hill State Representative Ray Rickman, won the seat easily.
Gordon Fox (D) 2,253
Michael Mitchell (R) 525
Jay Enderle (I) 407
Murphy - Fox Team 2002
Fox and GTech and the Ethics Commission 2003
Speaker of the House
2007 - 2010
Fox and 38 Studios
Fox and Gay Marriage
Providence Economic Development Partnership
Raid and Resignation
On Friday, the State House office of Gordon Fox was raided by RI State Police in conjuction with FBI and IRS agents. This was the first time a State House office was ever raided by law enforcement officials.
By end of day Saturday, Fox had resigned, here is his statement:
Fox Pleads to three charges of bribery, wire fraud, and filing a false tax return on March 3, 2015.
The charges stem from former Speaker Fox’s theft of $108,000 donated by campaign supporters to pay for personal expenses; his acceptance of a $52,000 bribe to advocate and move for issuance of a liquor license for an East Side restaurant while serving as Vice-Chairman of the City of Providence Board of Licenses in 2008; and his failure to account for these illegal sources of income on his tax returns.
- Aaron Regunberg: Shame on You, Speaker Fox
- EXCLUSIVE: Fox Floods Polls with State Workers
- Fox, Paiva Weed Re-Elected Legislative Leaders
- In Case You Missed It: Gordon Fox Accused of Manipulating House Campaigns
- NEW: Brien Rips Speaker Fox on 38 Studios
- NEW: Fox, Common Cause Respond To Surprising Ethics Bill Decision
- NEW: Rabid Fox Found In East Greenwich
- NEW: Speaker Fox Says Legislature Could Force Tax-Exempts to Pay Up
- Patriots: A Fan Favorite Finds His Way Back to Foxboro
- RI State Report: Unemployment, Gay Marriage & Fox’s Economic Plan
- Speaker Fox Opponent Mark Binder Hits the Airwaves
- Treasurer Raimondo & Mayor Taveras Campaigned for Speaker Fox Last Weekend
- Arthur Christopher Schaper: Speaker Fox, Will You Marry Me?
- EXCLUSIVE: O’Neill Says Fox Lied About 38 Studios
- Fox Calls Chafee Taxes ‘Unacceptable’ and ‘Offensive’
- Gay Activists Hit Fox in Viral Video
- Is Fox Providence Loving The New American Idol?
- NEW: Chafee Wars With Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly Over RI’s ‘Holiday Tree’
- NEW: Gay Marriage Group ‘Extremely Disappointed’ in Fox
- NEW: Rep. Lombardi Calls for Fox’s Resignation
- NEW: Speaker Fox’s Opponent to Call for Investigation into Campaign Donation
- Pats Knock Out Favre and the Vikings, FOX Fumbles
- RIer Sam Fox Runs 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail… for his Mom
- Speaker Fox Spokesman Larry Berman Addresses Media
- Arthur Schaper: Speaker Fox In The Hen House
- EXCLUSIVE: Speaker Fox Blasts Projo on Pay Raise Stories
- Fox Defends $1.5 Million for Redistricting
- Gordon Fox Campaign Contributions Exceeded $1K Limit
- LISTEN: O’Neill Says Fox Lied About 38 Studios
- NEW: Ed Reform Group Endorses Speaker Fox & 3 Others in Local Races
- NEW: GoLocalProv to Appear on Fox & Friends
- NEW: Speaker Fox Backtracks on 38 Studios Comments
- NEW: Speaker Fox’s State House Office Raided by FBI, State Police
- PowerPlayer: House Speaker Gordon Fox
- Speaker Fox: Why Rhode Island Needs Gist
- BREAKING NEWS: Fox Supports Civil Unions
- Election Day: Gordon Fox Shares His Thoughts
- Fox Doesn’t Know Corso: Galasso
- Gordon Fox Denies Conflict of Interest in Zoning Board Request
- NEW: Fox Fined $1500 by Ethics Commission for PEDP Non-Disclosure
- NEW: Ken Block Says Master Lever May Have Helped Fox Avoid Defeat
- NEW: Speaker Fox Calls on WPRO to Pull Critical Ad
- NEW: Statement by Speaker Fox on Chafee Joining Dems
- Proposed Foxboro Casino Would Devastate Rhode Island
- Rep O’Neill Criticizes Fox & Superman Plan - Similar to 38 Studios
- Speaker Gordon Fox’s Former Ally Now Running Opponent’s Campaign
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Gordon Fox
- Breaking: Binder to Run Against Fox in 2014
- Evaluating the Speaker: Is Fox Setting the Agenda?
- Fox Expected to Remain House Speaker
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Dee Dee Witman: Time to Show Gordon Fox the Door
- Lynch Responds to Fox Endorsement of Cicilline
- NEW: Fox Names Susan G. Pegden Chief Legal Counsel
- NEW: Lawmakers Refute Speaker Fox’s Claims on 38 Studios
- NEW: Speaker Fox Campaign Spent Nearly $70,000 Since Oct. 1
- NEW: Taveras, Fox Submit Names for I-195 Commission
- Questions Surround Speaker Fox’s Relationship with 38 Studios Insider
- Scott Cordischi On Sports: Belichick Dumb As A Fox!
- State Report: Speaker Fox’s Battle, Tax Amnesty & the 38 Studios Debacle
- 5 Reps Who Could Succeed House Speaker Gordon Fox
- Clearing the air in Foxboro
- Exclusive to GoLocalProv: House Speaker Gordon Fox Endorses Cicilline for Congress
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Jeff Padwa: Re-Elect Speaker Fox
- NEW: Binder Blasts Fox on Additional Tax Credits
- NEW: Fox Opponent Claims ‘Race Too Close to Call’
- NEW: Meeting Notes Show Fox, Paiva-Weed Pushing for 38 Studios
- NEW: Speaker Fox Comes Out in Favor of the Master Lever
- On The Couch: Speaker of the House Gordon Fox
- RI Favorites - Gordon Fox Endorses David Cicilline in Exclusive Video
- Scott Cordischi On Sports: Mum’s The Word In Foxboro
- Thank You Gordon Fox
- A Super Preview in Foxboro?
- Dan Lawlor: How Speaker Fox Can Turn Around His Legacy
- Five Things: David Burke Prime, Foxwoods
- Fox’s First (Not Quite) 100 Days: More of the Same?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Steven Artigas: Open Letter to Gordon Fox
- NEW: Binder Rips Fox on 38 Studios; Taveras Endorses Fox
- NEW: Mutiny Underway as Fox Boots O’Neill From Judiciary Committee
- NEW: Speaker Fox Files Another Board of Elections Complaint
- Patriots Preview - AFC Championship runs through Foxboro
- RI State Report: Block v. Fox, RIGOP Push for Latino Vote; More
- Speaker Fox Accused of Pay-to-Play; Spokesperson Calls Claims ‘Reckless’
- The Scoop: Block Calls Speaker Fox Imperialistic; Fox Responds
- Aaron Regunberg: A Tale of Two Foxes
- Dan Lawlor: The Curious Case of Gordon Fox
- Football superstars coming to Foxboro
- Fox’s Rival Calls for New Economic Model
- House Speaker Gordon Fox Wins Re-Election
- NEW: Block to Fox: Spare Us Lectures on Reform
- NEW: Fox and Raimondo Team Up on Legislation on “Economic Growth”
- NEW: Princess Diana’s Royal Wedding Gown Arrives at Foxwoods
- NEW: Speaker Fox Files Board of Elections Complaint
- Patriots corral the Colts in Foxboro
- RI State Report: Fox Investigated, Gag Orders + More
- Speaker Fox Cops to Campaign Finance Violation; Writes Check to Cover 2007 Fundraiser
- The Scoop: Ethics Commission Lawyer - Fox Investigation 90 Days